Monday, June 29, 2009

No Place for a Stallion


Photo thanks to sroliveira33 of Flickr

What a hell of a name for a post, eh! It came to me as I was in the passenger seat of my room mate's truck (he was getting a bed and needed help moving it). We were sitting there; he was talking some nonsense about Michael Jackson and how great he was and I was just sitting there, thinking.

I was thinking about a show I watched the other night, about some Marines in Iraq who were frustrated about how they were taught how to win a war and were stuck in a crappy part of Fallujah, playing the role of overly-armed cop. As I was watching this, I realized, that there was no place there for a brave man (which I like to think I am), only the lazy ones and the persistant SOBs.

Maybe that's the way life works; it's the classic tale of the hare and the tortus. The guy that gave it all for hour is not remembered, he burns out bright, but no one remembers his light. Only the far less bold man who bides his time and gives a little more than he takes will be remembered.

It's a depressing realization for a young man, who wants nothing more than to give it all. So it seems for now, there is no place for me. Call me a stallion.

Currently listening to "Give it All" by Rise Against

No comments: