Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cookie Cutter

Cookie-cutter music in a cookie-cutter world
Where I should raise a family with a cookie-cutter girl
And we should have a big TV and some cookie-cutter kids
Who should grow up and play soccer (or something safe) with their cookie-cutter friends

And everyone will say to me “Man, you've got the life”
With my cookie-cutter SUV and my cookie-cutter wife
Then maybe we'll get angry and get a cookie-cutter divorce
For as often as this mold is cast it never, ever works

But I'll be okay I'll go to the bar with the cookie-cutter guys
And we'll drink beer and talk about the game everything will be alright
It's a fucking shame we live this way in our cookie-cutter sphere
In a cookie-cutter decade, in a cookie-cutter year

Minutes after I finished "Grey Shaded Eyes", I started writing this song to describe how terribly generic the music was, and how much it really isn't what I want my music (or life) to be. I held on to it for a while, with some delusion that I would add more later, but that's it. Three verses and I'm out!

Inspired by my own bad, generic writing, Odd Soul by Mute Math, Earthsuit, the music video for Cameras by Matt and Kim (you don't understand it until you SEE the music video) and The Bare Naked Ladies.

No comments: