Thursday, December 23, 2010

Shit happens all the time...

Thanks to Jon Lajoie for inspiring this post with the line:

"Shit happens all the time and you learn how to deal with it, regular, everyday, normal fucking bullshit!" -Everyday Regular Normal Guy II by Jon Lajoie

So I was looking through this blog and realized that it had become very much a collection of poetry. This isn't a bad thing per-se, I'm happy that I've been able to produce enough song-quality poetry so I have something to work with when I start messing around on an instrument (it's a bouzouki right now, but that's a different story), but that's not why this blog exists. It exists so that I can submit my thoughts to the world, and poetry is not the only way to do that.

So back to Everyday Regular Normal Guy II. I've been a just a bit down lately, not a lot, but enough to irritate me. I've been thinking about it quite a bit, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what was bringing me down until I heard that line. That's it, it's normal fucking bullshit that has me down. I'm away from family and friends for the holidays and I don't like it. I'm in a new place and I don't know anyone, it fucking blows. It's not huge philosophical reasoning that has me down, it's the everyday, normal fucking grind of life.

I also realized that my coping mechanisms have improved dramatically in the last 3 years. It's like the song says: "We learn how to deal with it". This will be my third Christmas away from home. The first one ripped me up pretty badly, the last one was pretty cool, but I had to make a major effort to get it to not suck, and this one? Well, I'm not there yet, so I don't know how I'll deal with it, but I have a pretty strong feeling I'll be ok. It won't be the best day of the year for me, that's for sure, but I'll have a couple beers, pass out, and get on with life on December 26.

I guess I don't have that much else to say. I've mostly figured out that I'm not going to find real answers to the hard questions I have, not even answers that will satisfy me, and I'm mostly ok with that. Chances are, there aren't real answers anyway and it's a waste of time thinking too much about it.

So here I am; not that special. Just learning to deal with everyday, normal fucking bullshit.

Complete fucking sidebar... I just realized I quoted Buffy the Vampire Slayer on this blog like 2 years ago and didn't even know it, FML.

No comments: