Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Song for a Friend

I'll sing a sad song for you, cause joy is hard to find
I'll tell you how I see this world, and how I see my life
I've seen my share of pain though it's not always plain to see
I'll give to you my story and of what I hope I'd be

See I grew up in a family that gave to me the world
And they hoped that I'd be happy, get a job and find a girl
But I tried so hard not to disappoint that I disappoint myself
And here am a single man, got a job but got no wealth

So I looked into my future and it seemed to me so clear
That I'd never be rich man, I may never hold one so dear
I gave up all my big dreams for a hope that I might find
Something I could do, that could change humankind

But I look into the past and I'm scared of what I see
Of war and death and genocide, and hate that grows so deep
I screamed out in futility "Is there nothing we can do?!"
I saw the wave of history would pass me by as it passed through

In defeat I hung my head, there is nothing I can say
That will make us love our neighbors, or make us stop the pain
I've thought too many times it seems, is it even worth the while
To help a man up to his feet or calm a crying child

But in your eyes I find the strength to do what I still do
Cause you helped me up when I was down, as a friend like you would do
So to you who heard this song, I hope that you may be
The hope in a hopeless world, in the pain be the peace

As for me the night is long and I still can't see the end
But I will carry on, cause all you've done for me my friend

"Style of writing inspired by Adiline by Sarah Jaffe"

I'll get a picture for you invisible people later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a poet myself, and I love reading what other folks write. It gives me a chance to sort of step into a different world; view life from a completely different first person perspective.

I just wanted to say, thank you for taking interest in my blog as well.