Monday, January 5, 2009

On the state of humanity

"Go on, make a wish!"
"I'll just let it burn"

I saw a sign today
I don't know exactly what it was for
But it was no surprise at all
It was a sign for some cause
That you would all call good
But as I gazed at its faded design
A heaviness fell in my chest
And a tear should have fallen from my eye

I looked at that sign a time or two
Before I turned my head in pain
As one who has seen blood on the wall and walked away
Cause the cause was hopeless
The patient is already dead
Like tormenting a body as it's shocked to life to die again

I wonder if causes like this are what keeps us alive
No, not alive... maybe we just haven't died
I don't lift a finger, I barely lift an eye 
I'm ashamed of my life

I left the playing field
I leave it for others to decide
I observe silently
Not cheering for a side
Calulating every play
In a cold-blooded, not caring kind of way
We'll never win this war
Cause the enemy's face always looks like mine

I see what we've done
My God! What have we become!

No comments: